Federal Lands Access Program (FLAP)
The Federal Lands Access Program (Access Program) was established in 23 U.S.C. 204 to improve transportation facilities that provide access to, are adjacent to, or are located within Federal lands. The Access Program supplements State and local resources for public roads, transit systems, and other transportation facilities, with an emphasis on high-use recreation sites and economic generators.
The program is designed to provide flexibility for a wide range of transportation projects in the 50 States, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.
The Access Program is funded by contract authority from the Highway Trust Fund. Funds are subject to the overall Federal-aid obligation limitation. Funds will be allocated among the States using a new statutory formula based on road mileage, number of bridges, land area, and visitation.
As implementation of the Access Program under MAP-21 progresses, more information will be added to this site and to the Federal Highway Administration MAP-21 website.
Access Program Links
- Access Program Implementation Guidance
- Access Program Fact Sheet
Access Program Funding Amounts by State:
- Distribution Worksheet, FY 2013-2014 (PDF Version) (Acrobat, 76 KB)
- Distribution Worksheet, FY 2013-2014 (Excel Version) (Excel/xlsx, 13 KB)
- Programming Decisions Committee Contacts
- Federal Lands Access Program Assessment Report (Acrobat, 211 KB)
- FY 2013 - FY 2014 FLAP Accomplishment Reports
FLH Division Access Program Pages
- Eastern Federal Lands Highway Division FLAP
- Central Federal Lands Highway Division FLAP
- Western Federal Lands Highway Division FLAP
FHWA Headquarters Program Office Contact
Federal Lands Highways Program Coordinator
Office of Federal Lands Highway
Phone: (202) 493-0271